Monday, August 24, 2009

Picture taking is fun.





It's been a long hot summer and the latest hobby to occupy my time has been Lomography. It pretty much started when I was bored and decided I wanted to finally buy myself a Polaroid camera because I always loved the dreamy qualities of the instant image and its vignetting. However, much to my chagrin, I found out that Polaroid had discontinued producing the instant film for their classic Polaroid cameras. That is when I decided that I was going to experiment with "toy cameras" instead. Eventually my choices narrowed down between the Holga and the Diana F+; I went with the Diana F+ and I'm very happy I did. Unlike the instant gratification of digital cameras, Lomography uses film which can yield some unpredictable but great results...but you won't know what you get until you develop the film! And perhaps the best part about it all is that both the Holga and Diana cameras are fully customizable to fit your needs, which was great news to me when they introduced the Diana Instant Back+ because it meant that I get to turn my Diana into a Polaroid camera after all! If you're sick of all your pictures looking the same (and you don't have/care for photoshop) then I recommend picking up your very own "toy camera" too.